Monday, May 12, 2008

I. Live. Everywhere.

I had an interesting conversation with a potential client this morning.  I'm not exactly sure how we got on the topic, but we began discussing travel and where we have lived etc. etc.  She was from West Virginia, but had spent many years "living" in other areas of the country.
 
At one point in the conversation, I told her about "living" in Peru for about a month, after which she corrected me by saying "Don't you mean, you visited Peru for a month?"  I corrected myself in my head, "Yeah, of course. I visited Peru".  

Then, I had a Dana moment.

What is the difference between living and visiting?  Do I have to have a home to live there?  Is there a specified time that qualifies you having lived in a particular location?

In my opinion, I live wherever I am at that moment. Therefore, I lived in Peru.  I lived, I breathed, I wandered, I touched, tasted, taught, listened.  I learned.  Yep, I lived in Peru.  Which also means I have lived in Barcelona, Venice, Rome, Geneva, Munich, London etc. etc.  I have lived in Sausalito by the Golden Gate Bridge, walked down Broadway in Manhattan, and I know I was living there at that moment.  Amazing.

Sometimes I live on a boat in Lake Powell.  I watch the smile of the sun reflect on my skin as it seeps up the elements.  

I live at the park with my dog under a tree and let her chase bubbles and tennis balls for hours.

I live on my back porch, eating cheese and strawberries as B and I watch the sunset just over our back fence.  I like to watch the horizon close its eyes for the night.

The point is, we live wherever we are at the moment, whether it be some exotic location or a stuffed chair in your own living room.  We live, we breathe, we feel, we move, we are.  

Where are you living... at this very moment? 

5 comments:

Amy @ OurScoop said...

I'm living in my rocking chair. Cuddling, kissing and singing with joy to my kiddies! Thanks for that wonderful perspective!

Barb said...

I am living in someone else's home, caring for their children for a week. I am enjoying practicing my mothering skills- for this week, I live as a mother. (It's extra fun when it has an ending point!)

Unknown said...

I'm living in the garden! (I mean, besides this little interlude where I'm living at the computer...yuck). the kids are out there in their jammies, digging away in the dirt while I try to hack out our jungle of weeds and dream of tomatoes.

Jane Durham said...

how awesome is that post. living at ben's office?? wierd. I hate spelling weird. I always get it wrong.

Annie and Juston said...

I know what you mean my dear, and I have lived in a lot of places with you.... Lake Powell, was my favorite. I miss you.....