Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Birthday Bliss

Now,  I'm not much for birthdays, to be totally honest with you.  Not that it isn't great to celebrate the day you were brought into this world, I just think its a bit of an odd day and I am never quite sure what to expect out of it.  
I will say now, having just said I'm not a fan of the birthday scene, that this birthday far exceeded any birthday I have ever had, other than the birthday I spent in France, where an eighty year old french woman that I lived with brought over her three best circus freak friends and along with my korean roommate (who spoke neither English or French) we celebrated my birth in a language I didn't understand over a rice dish that had full shrimp heads in it (eyes and feelers included) and as my gift I received a singing birthday card and an old plate from one of Madame Cros' shelves.  THAT was a good birthday... 
Anywho, 
This birthday was much more relaxing, and Ben, who can only be described as "awesome" in this post took me for a day of zen at The Kura Door - home, an holistic japanese spa located in the heart of the avenues.  Our zen adventure began with the traditional ofuro bath, as explained below:



The Ofuro BathIn Japan, the bath serves as the path to well-being for both body and soul.  It is a place in which to gather one's thoughts and seek refuge from the tensions and stress of everyday life.  So it has been for a thousand years in Japan, and so it is still today at the Kura Door.
Experience the tradition of the Japanese Ofuro Bath.  Our bath attendant will guide you through this ritual journey as you experience the healing pleasures of Japanese tea and infused bathing waters.  Choose from a selection of soothing and detoxifying essential oil, herb, and natural sea salt blends to create your own inspired retreat.  Relax into the sound of soft music, the subtle fragrance of cedar, and the water's embrace.

If you are wondering, yes, it was amazing.  

Following the bath we stepped in for massages, where I fell asleep and woke myself up when I snorted(a little on the loud side) and gave the massage therapist a good laugh...  

Then came a yin facial, complete with hot towels around my feet, an arm and neck massage, and a humidifier that blew steam on my organic cream covered face the whole of the facial.  Now that, is birthday bliss.  

To top the day off, I had sushi with my best girlfriends and went and got myself measured for a road bike that I plan to purchase with the money my parents and grandparents gave me as a gift.  

A special shout out to my hub for a killer b-day, my chicas for the rad dinner and good laughs (Annie)  and to mis padres and abuelos for the dinero with which I can hopefully someday purchase my bicicleta.  Gracias a todos. Loves to all.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

AMAZING. glad you had such a good day.

cath said...

Im SO sad I missed your bday. i'm planning on having a massive celebration for all our summer birthdays when i return from the jhole. loves.

Jane Durham said...

I think you can officially start liking birthdays from now on...hello! but I don't know what to tell you for your expectations except go big or go home!