Friday, February 12, 2010

This Modern Love, Vol II

I'm just going to be really honest for a moment and let everyone know that I have a strong aversion to Valentine's Day.  I always have (yes, even now that I am married and don't have to wallow in my sorrows anymore because I am probably the only single person without a date on Valentine's Day!!!).  I think it is a lame invented holiday that allows men to buy the obligatory flowers and cheesefest card to tell your spouse, lady, significant other, etc. etc. that you really do love and care about them and so that anytime your wife complains that you haven't bought her flowers lately you can say: "But honey, I bought you flowers on Valentine's Day!"  Now,  menfolk, this isn't great for you either.  Why, you ask?  Because women feel the need to express their love as well, so we frame stupid pictures of us kissing, or modge podge a stool or a box that holds the memories of our first date, ticket stubs from that first romantic comedy we saw together, a pillow we made that has our initials embroidered on it.  It is all enough to make anyone gag.  Then you have to pretend you like it, because we spent so much time on it, so you place it in your room somewhere, hoping no one ever sees it but you, just so we know that you really really loved it... seriously? Is this what it has come to?  If I really wanted to show Ben I loved him I would pay his registration fee and enroll him in a poker tournament in Vegas... he would think I was the coolest wife on the earth!  But that is SO not romantic... and I am NOT paying for him to enter a poker tournament, so there goes my great gift idea.

So yeah,  Valentine's Day blows, people, and I feel fine saying that.

What doesn't blow?  Music.  Good love songs. Love songs that don't make you think of your highschool junior prom ("Lady in Red" anyone?). 

So, without further ado, I bring you my latest playlist for all you lovers out there:

This Modern Love, Vol. II

  • "Think I'm in Love" by Beck
  •  "This Modern Love"  by Bloc Party
  • "Lover"  by Devendra Banhart
  • "Toothpaste Kisses"  by The Maccabees
  • "Destiny" by Zero 7
  • "Part One"  by Band of Horses
  • "Publish My Love"  by Rogue Wave
  • "Consequence" by the Notwist
  • "Sweet Diposition"  by Temper Trap
  • "Gigantic"  by  The Pixies
  • "HeartBeats"  by Jose Gonzalez
  • "Somebody Loved"  by The Weepies
  •  "Wonderwall" by Ryan Adams
  • "No One's Gonna Love You"  by Band of Horses
  • "Shelter"  by Ray LaMontagne
  • "Love You More"  by Alexi Murdoch
  • "Find Love"  by Clem Snide
  • "Brand New Colony"  by The Postal Service

Enjoy. Like it or don't like it.  Burn a CD for your lover if you so choose.  Just don't label it "V-Day love Mix"  and cover it in heart stickers, please.

5 comments:

Britters and Parx said...

You are so funny! I thought that you were going to go the route, "V-day blows because you should show that you love that special someone EVERY DAY of the week- not just one day a year...blah blah" Ha! I get you with all of the cheesy gifts. We aren't really into all that either. BUT, I honestly LOVE Valentine's Day! February 14th = quality time just the two of us! =) I miss you Dana! Lets plan something soon.

cath said...

you are the best and i love when you post playlists.

i guess i'll just toss the modgepodged stool i made of you, me, and ben. hope you know i still care.

Annie and Juston said...

You are a hater! But I still love you. I love that we are best friends and completely opposites! I love every movie out there. You are the biggest critic. I love all the cheesy holidays, new years, valentines, etc. And you hate them all. You are funny, I am not although I try to be. :) haha! The list goes on and on. But yet those are the reasons I love you so much. I can't imagine life without you. - This is my Valentines day card to you!

Kimma Frost said...

D, why you gotta hate on Love?

jim said...

I'm going to burn a copy of the playlist and then modge podge that. I think it will be awesome but since it might ruin my cd player I'll probably just dangle it from the rear view mirror of my beloved's car.