Thursday, October 1, 2009

Moral DIlemma

I'm having major issues today. Good issues, not bad ones, but issues nonetheless.
As most of you know, I work for a youth non-profit organization as the International service and development director. We put high school students through a year long service program involving local and international service. We work in 4 countries, take about 140 students abroad a year and our goal is to create life-time humanitarians. It is a great job. I love what I do. I work lots of hours and I don't get paid much. You know that going into non-profit. You don't do it for the money.

Here comes the dilemma: I was just offered a new job yesterday with a new company. They are a web development company, they develop all of the on-line applications and such for the government and state of Utah. It is a cool company. Good people. The position is a marketing position. They have offered me more money, great benefits and a stable work environment with lots of room to grow. A good friend of mine works there, and she really enjoys it.

So, what do I do? More money? More stability? Or, my little non-profit. Both are good options, but I don't know what is best. I need help. I need opinions. I need advice.

I welcome your thoughts.

Please advise.

5 comments:

The Richards Family said...

AHH! The hardest decisions are between 2 really good things. The cop-out answer would be "pray about it". Yes that is easy, but sometimes I think the Lord really does not care where you work as long as you are doing good things and doing it well. I would go to the people you are working for now and be totally honest with them. See what they have to say and what they can offer you back. It never hurts, even if your answer is "nothing". In that case you will be in the same situation you are now. You have nothing to lose. But what if they could give you a little more money? That might make your decision to stay easier.???? I don"t know really. That is what I think I would do. Does this even make sense? GNO soon. Love ya and good luck!

Barb said...

Wow- what a great (albeit difficult) place to be! I always ask myself, "What do I really want?" Seems simple, but sometimes a new opportunity comes along that seems appealing and so great. I feel like I SHOULD want it but deep down I don't really. Does that make sense? And lots of prayer. Love you- you will make the right choice.

Jane Durham said...

Well, I think aside from the fact that you love your job, it is stressful and taxing...this new opportunity might also be a huge relief. With your experience you could always find something similar again, if you don't end up liking the new job. I say break away and try something new. Good luck!

Britters and Parx said...

Wow, tough one!! Well here are my thoughts:
**you were just telling me that you were considering a different but similiar non-profit with a manager that doesn't micro-manage so much (I sure hope she doesn't see this! =) That being said, even if you DO like your job, you were considering a change...
**I think you have to evaluate you life: is this a time where money over "your dream job" is more important? You wouldn't be the only one if that were true...times are tough right now for many! And just think, it does not have to be PERMANENT!! That thought always helps me to do things! (it helps me to still feel free when I tell myself this! =)

I have more thoughts but those are the main ones! Let me know what you choose! Lunch again soon??

Brit

Adventures of a teacher! said...

DANA!!!!! This is a Dilemma, especially for me! Haha I know how hard this has been for you, I am so happy that you have made a decision. I know that you will be wonderful where ever you are! I am just so grateful for the time that I got to work with you. You have become one of my most favorite women. I truly admire you and I hope that I grow up to be like you! Thank you for all the laughs and awesome talks. You are my homegirl and I don't know what I am going to do without. We better still have lunches lady, or I might explode! I love you like tide loves the beach. Good Luck at the new job, knock em dead and show them the amazing women that you are! They are soooooo lucky to have you!